Wednesday 21 November 2012

Melbourne Cup and Finals!

Hey all, ya its been awhile I know, but a lot has been going on these last few weeks.
So we had the Melbourne Cup, which is the Derby of OZ. It was great fun, our house was packed! All the Girls had people in town so our house jumped to about 20 residents. It was a bit crazy. The races were great, we hung out on the lawn and watched the races. Well, big better over here lost  a whopping $10. All the top horses, didnt even place in the top 5!! Green Moon for the win...Maybe next year.

After the racing week we had to dive straight into our finals week, which of course is always stressful. I had two studios and one furniture design class. Out of all the classes, I was the happiest with my stool design. The brief for the class was to design a stool within 400 mm x 400 mm x 400 mm and must weigh less than 2 kg ( 4.4 lbs). So I worked with 4.5 mm polypropylene... issues? yes. Its a very soft and bendable materials so getting it to work too some canoodling. So here it is...


We had to add tension wires to keep the stool from compressing too much. 


The stool was slightly bouncy. I was really happy with the design but I wish I had the money to create one more prototype because there were a few kinks that needed to be worked out. Wish i could take this home with me :( but no room in the suitcase!

My other finals for Inhabitation and Sustainable went pretty well also. But it was great to actually be done! I was so tired...


So Julia, Maren, Frida, and I rented a car and did a two day trip on the Great Ocean Road. Its a drive along the southern coast with all these stops and sites and ends at the 12 Apostles. We had the best weather, it was sunny and bright. It was also the first time we got to see wild Koalas!! Ah they are so cute, but they make the craziest noises. They actually grunt really loudly. 


No this is not from the internet, this is the picture that I actually took. It was a lot of fun riding along the beaches. After the apostles , we stayed the night in a hostel and the next morning headed back to Melbourne, stopped in Geelong on the way back and checked out the beach there. 

Julia, Celine and I also spent one of the days at the famous Brighton Beach! Its a really nice beach and is lined with these little houses for storage that worth a few hundred thousand dollars. It was nice to lay out and catch some sun and not have to worry about school for once! 


Yay Australia!!


This past weekend, Julia, Celine, and I took a last trip out to Willsons Promontory. It was beautiful! We rented a car to drive the 2 and half hours out to the park. But since we didnt have a tent, we car camped ha, which, is not very comfortable btw. But we spent the weekend hiking and hanging out on the coast. I know, hard life right? But if you are ever in OZ, you should really do this trip. My favorite hike was to Tongues Point. We hiked through the forest, well aussie forest. There had been a fire so all the trees were these black crazy looking sticks. It was pretty cool lookin. We hiked up and you come over and can see the ocean and its so blue. We hiked down to Fairy Cove, this small beach, and we were the only ones there...private beach status!


Fairy Cove

 Tongues Point


Overlook

The whole weekend had beautiful weather and beautiful sites! Even better, we got to see wild kangaroos, Wallabys, Wombats, and Emus!! It was crazy, I didnt think I would actually see them in the wild! We even saw a snake...not so great. Not a fan of snakes by any means. 

Skippies!!


Emus!


The most beautiful sky!

It was an amazing weekend  It was kinda sad to leave, but im glad I was able to have this weekend. 

Well my time here is wrapping up :(, and I am very sad about it. I do wish I could stay another 5 months. If anyone is thinking about traveling, ya you should stop by Oz, its awesome. I do have one more week here though. I have a friend in Brisbane, who I met in Nashville, and hes flying me up to stay with him for 6 days. He lives an hour from both the Sunshine Coast and the Golden Coast, which are supposed to be some of the best beaches ever! Im really excited, a week of beach hopping. My life has been real hard hah. Ill be sure to post lots of pictures and tell you alll about it. And yes, people I have been working on my tan and i do have some tan lines, yaaaa. I wont be super dark, but ill be darker than you pasty people and you and your winter clothes. ;).



<3









No comments:

Post a Comment